UK Mud locations

Goo-it-yourself advice from our band of home sploshers on everything from making a good custard pie to building a gunge tank. A sort of Stickki-pedia!

UK Mud locations

Postby squidgybaws » 10 Jul 2014, 22:08

Hi all, thought I'd start a thread about places that have some nice mud for rolling about in now that summer is here
I'll start with some Scottish favourites; Forth estuary between Grangemouth and Stirling and Solway firth from Gretna to Dalbeattie. Where are your likely looking places? :D
squidgybaws

Re: UK Mud locations

Postby Curious Katie » 20 Jul 2014, 15:11

I've been looking at river banks and large muddy puddles leftover from rain storms. Not a lot around Lincolnshire unless i want to go out into The Wash but there's too much quicksand and mud that it might just be the end of me if i try it.

Is there no kind of mud or clay that i could buy from a shop and fill a paddling pool as that seems to be much safer. The river banks around here just aren't "clean" enough (as clean as mud can get) :-)
What i mean is there's too much crap in it like stones, weeds, bird poop, etc.
Curious Katie

Postby squidgybaws » 21 Aug 2014, 11:31

Know what you mean CK! I've only tried it once in a puddle that dries out in summer, had a good wade about to check for sticks and stuff b4 rolling about, felt like a giant bowl of wet talcum powder but it was only shin deep, too scared to try tidal mud on my own without tying rope round my waist or something. Funnily enough i bought some balloons yesterday so i'll stick to filling them with gunge lol 8-)
ETA I know nothing about buying mud, only what I've read on here about bentonite etc.!
squidgybaws

Postby messman » 05 Jun 2016, 21:30

i am like you the river carron at the kelpies has great smooth mud makes you look like al jolsen black but very smoth have played in that with m gf lol
messman

Fetlife: puffpaul

Postby squidgybaws » 09 Jun 2016, 10:48

Haha, sounds like fun! Might do some night time photography at the kelpies, this is the weather for it. It can be a busy area, is there a quiet spot?
squidgybaws

Postby SuperSweetBoy » 30 Aug 2016, 11:00

Is there anywhere in Suffolk that's good? I had a look at Orwell Country Park but that stuff is straight up quicksand.
SuperSweetBoy

Return to Practical Sploshing