water pumps and gunge

Goo-it-yourself advice from our band of home sploshers on everything from making a good custard pie to building a gunge tank. A sort of Stickki-pedia!

water pumps and gunge

Postby naughtyjim » 19 Dec 2013, 04:04

Hi Guys,
Anyone got any experience on this one? I'm thinking of using a water pump in my new gunge tank, but I'm a bit worried about knackering it. Anybody got hints & tips?

naughtyjim

Re: water pumps and gunge

Postby MessySupplies » 08 Jan 2014, 16:27

Hi wetfetlover, I believe the chaps at http://www.MessyWorld.net are the best people to answer this....
MessySupplies

Postby rubberjin » 16 Jan 2014, 02:25

I'd vote for "probably won't work", for a given value of "water pump" (there are many types).

The thickness (viscosity) will prevent most impeller-type water pumps (which most will be) from working & probably burn them out.

Lumps may be an issue depending on exact gunge substance, although "trash" pumps and washing machine/dishwasher waste pumps are designed to pass debris (they will fail on the thickness though).

I'd look at pumps designed to move thicker substances - either more sturdy/slower running impeller types, piston types, screw type, etc. as used in food production lines, factory/industrial processes, etc. as you can guarantee whatever the substance someone has invented a way to move it at some point - they pump concrete after all! You probably don't want to know the price of some of those, a scout round eBay might turn up used kit or you could cobble up a DIY solution.

Simple old-school stuff like archimedes screws or buckets on a chain are pretty idiot-proof and can be DIY'd.

Let us know what/if you do!
rubberjin

Postby rubberjin » 22 Jan 2014, 23:48

Here's an idea for "viscous fluids":
http://hackaday.com/2014/01/18/peristal ... both-ways/
rubberjin

Postby dunktankbabes » 20 Aug 2014, 23:17

We use water pumps to empty the dunk tank with gunge and haven't had any problems with a submersable pump from machine mart. We've also got a diaphragm pump for the clay which is a much heavier duty petrol powerd pump.
dunktankbabes

Postby dunktankbabes » 20 Aug 2014, 23:18

We use water pumps to empty the dunk tank with gunge and haven't had any problems with a submersable pump from machine mart. We've also got a diaphragm pump for the clay which is a much heavier duty petrol powerd pump.
dunktankbabes

Return to Practical Sploshing