Porridge, Oats So Simple, or.....?

Goo-it-yourself advice from our band of home sploshers on everything from making a good custard pie to building a gunge tank. A sort of Stickki-pedia!

Porridge, Oats So Simple, or.....?

Postby messybear » 03 Jan 2011, 18:09

I'd like to try self sploshing with porridge, but don't know if I should be using "real" porridge (whatever that really is) or an instant porridge like Oats So Simple and would welcome some guidance. I think I'm looking for the consistency that Hayley used in her 12 days of sploshness, but the problem is that my sploshing has to be alone these days and the easiest place to do this is our house on the Costa Del Sol later in January.

The downside is that I have to take powdered products with me in my my suitcase on EasyJet, so weight and bulk is an important factor. I generally take 7 or 8 packets of Asda instant custard and 4 or 5 Asda "angel delights" - which helps to keep the cost down, i can buy eggs cheaply in Spain and honey/maple syrup/chocolate sauce is fairly reasoanbly priced and accessible on the Costa, as is pureed tomatoes - very very cheap, very messy and very red.

So firstly I'd like some guidance on what product, and if it can be made with hot water or if it has to be milk (longlife milk is more freely available in my part of Spain than fresh milk), and then I have to figure out if it will fit into the suitcase and it's weight allowance, and then how much to use.

Many thanks - MB
messybear

Re: Porridge, Oats So Simple, or.....?

Postby Cake Battered » 03 Jan 2011, 22:17

It's not exactly space saving, but I just use regular porridge oats. Water works fine, and you can get yourself any consistency you like by simply changing the amount of water you use. I tend to use about twice as much water as porridge when heating it up, before leaving it to cool. This tends to leave the mix a little too think for my liking once it's cooled off, but then you can just add more cold water to thin it down, cool it further and, best of all, increase the quantity! :D
Cake Battered

Postby messybear » 04 Jan 2011, 18:19

Thanks for that CB, I'll see if I can get porridge oats from one of the British grocery shops on the Costa, and give it a whirl...
messybear

Postby Bubblegum » 05 May 2011, 17:04

Just buy whatever's cheapest, really, but you ideally want something where the individual oat grains are as small as possible for a gloopy texture. I suggest that rather than add water and then microwave it, you just add hot (not boiling) water directly to a bowl of porridge oats and stir thoroughly. You can vary the consistency very easily by adding a little more water or a little more oats.
Bubblegum

Postby BillShipton » 12 May 2011, 10:15

We use Bubblegum's method as did Hayley though you need to keep adding water after to stop it going 'solid'. No need for milk or boiling on a hot plate. Reddy Brek is an simple-to-make alternative and washes out of long hair more easily but isn't as heavy.
BillShipton

Return to Practical Sploshing