Taking Self-Photo's - How?

Goo-it-yourself advice from our band of home sploshers on everything from making a good custard pie to building a gunge tank. A sort of Stickki-pedia!

Taking Self-Photo's - How?

Postby CaptainOats » 17 Apr 2010, 14:44

Hi All,

How do all you solo-sploshers take photo's of yourself playing?

I am finding it a struggle as my wife is not prepared to take them for me.

CO.
CaptainOats

Re: Taking Self-Photo's - How?

Postby MJ. » 17 Apr 2010, 15:04

I don't, but I know that some people who do will film themselves then take screen caps. However, to get decent shots, you need to make sure you use a decent video camera in the first place.
Alternatively, you could set up a timer on the camera, so long as the camera gives you some indication of when it's about to take the picture so you can make sure you're caught doing what you want to be caught doing!
MJ.

Postby MrB » 17 Apr 2010, 17:32

How about setting up a camera to take a photo every 20 seconds or so. I can think of 4 ways this could happen.

The simplest is to find a camera which can do this. The function is 'intervalometer'. My first digital camera did this, but it's pretty rare.

The best way, is to get a remote shutter for an SLR which has this function. I've got this on my current camera which I use for timelapse photography. It's awesome. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Timer-Remote-Shut ... 5ad8ac3f01

The cheapest way would be to take any old camera and wedge the shutter button down. I'm not sure how it would react after a period of minutes, I guess it would depend on the camera.

Finally, if you're geeky and own a canon, then search for CHDK. It's hackable scriptable firmware for cheaper canon cameras, and there are intervalvometer (and motion detect) scripts available. But it's complicated. I've used it successfully, but only after a lot of faffage.
MrB

Postby MrB » 17 Apr 2010, 17:33

Having said that.

Camcorder + tripod, because video > stills.

:)
MrB

Postby dunktankbabes » 17 Apr 2010, 21:05

Would have thought a camera with an interval timer thing would be the best option, just use a big memory card and take a picture every 5 seconds if you are worried about missing something. Even every 5 seconds its only 180 shots for 15 minutes.
dunktankbabes

Postby BillShipton » 19 Apr 2010, 08:24

Hayley's become something of an expert on this so I'll get her to pass on her secrets. I know it involves a lot of wasted photos!
BillShipton

Postby Hayley » 21 Apr 2010, 10:21

Get back to making tea for your builders, Bill! LOL

I have already given some advice on taking pictures of yourself whilst getting messy in my Blog post - go to www.splosh.co.uk/2009/09/06/hayleys-slime-time. I use the timer for individual shots and then the interval button for 'sequences' like pouring something over my head. These work fine out of doors but you may find (as I have) that the flash can't cope with intervals under about five seconds and fails to go off ruining your stop-frame animated sequence.

You will have a lot of wasted shots anyway. Things go wrong or you catch yourself looking like a freak staring vacantly into space. I also have a slightly droopy eye which looks like I'm demented when I get something in it (or I'm very pissed). I am vain enough to take all these out!

The other problems I have found are
a) Moving out of shot during close-ups without realising
b) Moving too much so the picture is blurry - you have to do things sloooowwwly
c) Getting disorientated when my face is covered and pointing the wrong way!
d) Enjoying it too much and getting annoyed I have to stop to reset the camera!

Of course you could just set the camera up and never change it, but I think that looks rubbish! Shot after shot of a cock being slowly covered in custard doesn't work for me. I want to see your face, how you are reacting etc, so a combo of close-ups and long shots works so much better even if it means doing it twice (and why not!). I move the camera and do close-ups, almost everything a separate photographer would (even though I'm dripping in gunge or custard) which is why my pictures take such a long time.

However, I like doing pictures on my own. I admit I am a bit of a control freak and prefer it to being told what to do so this way feels a lot more natural for me, and I hope the results are too. But there is also something wonderfully naughty about behaving badly on your own. It feels so much more daring somehow, especially when the doorbell could ring any minute!

So give it a go.

Hayley x
Hayley
Site Admin

Postby HCRothschild » 05 May 2010, 11:05

I guess a tripod to hold your camera would do great in taking self-photos of your sploshing.
HCRothschild

Postby Hayley » 05 May 2010, 14:23

HCRothschild wrote:I guess a tripod to hold your camera would do great in taking self-photos of your sploshing.

Sorry forgot to mention that. It does help - unless you have lots of shelves of different heights in your sploshing room!
Hayley
Site Admin

Postby sweetnpied » 11 May 2010, 02:15

Hayley wrote:Shot after shot of a cock being slowly covered in custard doesn't work for me. Hayley x

You can send your shot after shot of a cock being slowly covered in custard to me!
sweetnpied

Postby PleasePieMeMistress » 14 Jun 2010, 19:56

Duly noted should any such pictures ever get taken SweetnPied ;-)
Sploshy Haiku
Please pie me mistress,
Pour custard over my head,
Then pie me some more.
PleasePieMeMistress

Postby Lesley » 15 Sep 2010, 12:47

Lots of cameras now work with a remote control shutter release. A little clingfilm is all that's needed to protect the remote release!
Lesley

Postby MrB » 05 Oct 2010, 18:24

How about using a laptop connected to the camera, or even just a webcam - that way there is a good view of what you are filming as it happens.
MrB

Postby SploshMale17 » 25 Mar 2015, 22:25

Just a quick addition to this topic, if you have a smart phone and live near a home bargains uk (used to be Discount UK) they sell selfie remotes for £1-2.
SploshMale17

Return to Practical Sploshing