Cake batter advice

Goo-it-yourself advice from our band of home sploshers on everything from making a good custard pie to building a gunge tank. A sort of Stickki-pedia!

Cake batter advice

Postby Cake Battered » 15 Mar 2010, 18:36

Hello all. It's been a while. :)

I've been living a splosh free life for far too long now, thanks to sharing a flat, but my flatmate's finally moving out at the end of the week. I've got a week off starting at the same time, so I figured the perfect way to celebrate would be a massive wam session. I'll be buying lots of custard, chocolate sauce, porridge, cakes and the like, but I think it's about time I tried out cake batter too. The problem is, I've got no idea how much of it I'll need, or what to do with it for that matter!

I'd like to be able to make at least one bucket full of it at a decent, gooey thickness. How much do you think I'll need to buy, and how do you go about mixing it?

Thanks a lot!
Cake Battered

Re: Cake batter advice

Postby BillShipton » 16 Mar 2010, 10:30

If you get the cash and carry version it's really easy - just add water and mix. One big bag makes about two thirds of a bucket.

Bill
BillShipton

Postby Cake Battered » 16 Mar 2010, 16:43

Crikey. If that's all there is to it, then I wish I'd tried it before! :oops:

Thanks. Looks like I'll definitely be adding that to the list next week.
Cake Battered

Postby ACwammer » 24 Mar 2010, 18:43

Does cake batter go goopy/sticky? Flour and water mix was a nightmare to wash out and I just woner if cake batter has a similar problem.
ACwammer

Postby messyjojo » 24 Mar 2010, 19:01

Cake mix is lovely - make it as thick or thin as you like. Also it doesn't stick in your hair like water/flour (yes, I made the same mistake lol)! Happy mixing :lol: Good for filling pants/knickers!
luv and pies
x Jo
messyjojo

Postby Candy Custard » 28 Mar 2010, 22:54

I use lots of bags of the asda smartprice batter mix (or big cash and carry bags as bill mentioned when I can get hold of them) just add water and mix... one of my fave things. I add chocolate powder sometimes and sometimes strawberry, or just food colouring.

If you are coated with something else first over your head (and body hair if you have it) like custard, then it doesn't stick as much in those annoying little globules... if you DO find yourself with those in your hair anywhere then some liberal application of conditioner and a fine tooth comb will sort you out. I always do this just in case when cake batter or anything flour based has been used, as when washing hair you can't really feel those little globs all stuck there til its too late and they have dried in. I do find the cake batter isn't so bad for sticking though but it still can sometimes
Candy Custard

Postby sweetnpied » 29 Mar 2010, 02:15

joluvspiesngunge wrote:Cake mix is lovely - make it as thick or thin as you like. Also it doesn't stick in your hair like water/flour (yes, I made the same mistake lol)! Happy mixing :lol: Good for filling pants/knickers!

Can SOMEONE explain to me why then I have SO much trouble with cake batter? Seems I can't get it emulsified enough so I don't get little grainy granules in my eyes!
sweetnpied

Postby Mike Nomic » 29 Mar 2010, 11:35

sweetnpied wrote:
joluvspiesngunge wrote:Cake mix is lovely - make it as thick or thin as you like. Also it doesn't stick in your hair like water/flour (yes, I made the same mistake lol)! Happy mixing :lol: Good for filling pants/knickers!

Can SOMEONE explain to me why then I have SO much trouble with cake batter? Seems I can't get it emulsified enough so I don't get little grainy granules in my eyes!

UK posters seem to have no problems, whereas you in the US are experiencing difficulties.

Is this a transatlantic issue relating to differences in definitions or ingredients?

Mike.
Normality is subjective!
Mike Nomic

Fetlife: Mike Nomic
UMD: Mike Nomic

Postby dalious » 31 Mar 2010, 22:06

I've never had a problem with cake or brownie batter. I use hot water to mix it and let it sit for about 45 min before I use use it.
-Shayna
dalious

Postby jaffajape » 05 Apr 2010, 14:44

I kept meaning to post these:

Here are some pictures from my latest self-sploshing session:

Note the bowl on the right - this was my first session with cake batter.

This was Morrison's own-brand cake batter mix:

This used water and 2 eggs - and because I wanted it a bit more liquidy than 'standard', I added 50ml more of water - which actually made it far more liquidy than I thought - so I'd probably recommed you stick closely to the instructions!

Oh and the bonus of this experiment was that the cake mix only required 2 eggs from a box of 6.

Now what to do with the other 4.... :wink:

jaffajape

Fetlife: jaffajape
UMD: jaffajape

Postby sweetnpied » 07 Apr 2010, 21:52

dalious wrote:I've never had a problem with cake or brownie batter. I use hot water to mix it and let it sit for about 45 min before I use use it.

I've always done that, dalious, the hot water and letting it sit. Hmmmm. I hand mixed the batter before I took my break from wamming over 4 years ago and that didn't solve the problem. Then a couple of months ago I used an electric mixer for 1/2 hour with brownie batter, and that didn't work. I recently purchased this especially fluffy brand of cake batter. I'll have to try solo wamming with it and see if that's the type I can use safely with hubby.
sweetnpied

Return to Practical Sploshing