Plastic Sheeting

Goo-it-yourself advice from our band of home sploshers on everything from making a good custard pie to building a gunge tank. A sort of Stickki-pedia!

Plastic Sheeting

Postby Pacman » 19 Feb 2010, 18:39

I'm thinking about trying sploshing outside the bathroom, just wondering where the best place to get plastic sheeting is? Are there different materials, and if so which are better? How much (roughly) does it cost?
Pacman

Re: Plastic Sheeting

Postby andy250 » 19 Feb 2010, 18:48

It all dpepends on the size of the location you are covering. I would suggest heavly duty tarp for the floor, then light see through tarp for the
walls if its going to be a house session. Most places like B&Q sell tarp, also they sell tarp on a roll. As well as Wicks, etc, etc. ie most large
diy stores.

regards

Andy and the team
andy250

Postby Squelch » 19 Feb 2010, 20:38

Decorators plastic sheeting from DIY stores is fine. Fairly cheap and comes in big sizes. Make sure you tape it to the walls to hold it in place. It's worth putting another cloth sheet or blanket underneath just in case there's a leak.
Squelch

Postby messylaura » 19 Feb 2010, 20:57

i used to use a heavy gauge 3 meter x 4 meter from wickes but i recently went to get some and they stopped doing that particular one
it was a good strong one, less chance of high heels going through it
i used to get off cuts of carpet and put this on top of the plastic, it stopped high heels from puncturing it, it was nice and comfy and felt like less of a set up and more like a 'room'
and it wasn't slippery

if you use regular thin plastic it sticks to you and pulls away from where you want it, thin is good on walls and to cover stuff you not going to be walking on or touching

it might be a good idea to put an old bed sheet under the plastic incase of any punctures
wam search words: Мокрая, ливень, alluvione
messylaura

Postby DungeonMasterOne » 21 Feb 2010, 05:49

I tend to use the "waterproof dust sheets" that Tesco sell. I've found the B&Q version is much poorer, weaker plastic and more liable to tear / leak. We tend to get the 3m x 4m ones, and then fold them in half to get a 2m x 3m playing area. Double-thickness is less likely to tear both layers.
- DungeonMasterOne
- http://www.gungemaster.com - Visit Saturation Hall, the UK's messiest stately home!
- by my hand and seal, as Lady Jasmine commands.
DungeonMasterOne

Postby mudmonster79 » 22 Feb 2010, 14:27

try using old (or new) plastic pvc shower curtains... they're usually very decent quality, and of a reasonable size. obviously wont be as big as the dust sheets, but good as an underlay for yourdust sheet on the place where most of your gunge/mess will be focused?
mudmonster79

Postby jaffajape » 25 Feb 2010, 23:14

Wilkos do 12'x12' (or similar) for 97p - sounds cheap, but i've put quite a lot of splosh onto it and not had tearing problems - although I would 'double layer' as a precaution.
jaffajape

Fetlife: jaffajape
UMD: jaffajape

Postby sweetnpied » 01 Mar 2010, 01:02

andy250 wrote:It all dpepends on the size of the location you are covering. I would suggest heavly duty tarp for the floor, then light see through tarp for the
walls if its going to be a house session. Most places like B&Q sell tarp, also they sell tarp on a roll. As well as Wicks, etc, etc. ie most large
diy stores.

regards

Andy and the team

Andy, we are much alike on this one. I use 4 mm plastic painters' sheets over the floors and furniture and 1 mm over nearby walls if we're going to be splashing as well as sploshing (wrestling, pie throwing, etc.) and having sex. If we're just pouring, rubbing and having sex, I don't bother covering the walls. Right now we're using my "sitting room" in our house for our sploshing HQ. It's the smallest room in the house, so it's easy protect with plastic sheeting and easy to heat a little warmer than the rest of the house using a small electric space heater. It's perfectly situated right next to a bathroom with shower, with the kitchen on the other side of it, and my sitting room fits a 7 ft circular kiddie pool perfectly with support on all sides (sofa on one side, TV-DVD-VCR entertainment center, bookshelves on the other & then end tables and coffee table boxing off the other 2 sides). Plus, it's my personal room where I watch TV & read. (Hubby gets the den with the big LCD screen for his sports.) So if I get my room messy, it's my own fuckin' fault. I believe Bill is going to be able to find a way to make a pic hubby recently took of me fit as my avatar. (Bless him! That's Bill I mean... although bless my hubby, too. Bill is SUCH a sweetie to be doing that for me. I know a little about puters, but not alot.) That pic was taken in the room we're currently using for sploshing.
Christina
Last edited by sweetnpied on 01 Mar 2010, 01:15, edited 2 times in total.
sweetnpied

Postby sweetnpied » 01 Mar 2010, 01:09

Oops. I forgot to answer the cost question. In the States we have something called "Home Depot." It's a discount do-it-yourself home improvement store. It's like a massive warehouse of supplies, fixtures, all kinds of paint, just EVERYTHING. I mean HUGE. If I catch the coupons/sales right, I can get a 10 foot by 25 foot 4 mm plastic roll (I mean, how fuckin' HILARIOUS that they're mixing metric with American standard measurements!) for $10 US and the 1 mm roll 10 foot by 20 foot for $1.50 US.
sweetnpied

Postby muckypup » 01 Mar 2010, 17:14

sweetnpied wrote:Oops. I forgot to answer the cost question. In the States we have something called "Home Depot." It's a discount do-it-yourself home improvement store. It's like a massive warehouse of supplies, fixtures, all kinds of paint, just EVERYTHING. I mean HUGE. If I catch the coupons/sales right, I can get a 10 foot by 25 foot 4 mm plastic roll (I mean, how fuckin' HILARIOUS that they're mixing metric with American standard measurements!) for $10 US and the 1 mm roll 10 foot by 20 foot for $1.50 US.

I was going to comment on you using "mm" I guess fractions of an inch isn't accurate enough for that thinness!
muckypup

Fetlife: muckipup
UMD: muckypup

Postby sweetnpied » 01 Mar 2010, 18:47

muckypup wrote:I was going to comment on you using "mm" I guess fractions of an inch isn't accurate enough for that thinness!

I KNOW. Funny, ain't it? You know, muckster, when I was in grade school they tried to convert us to the metric standard. (Not just my grade or school, the entire country.) It never stuck with us Yanks. Except in thickness of plastic sheeting for painting (AND WAMMING), I guess!
sweetnpied

Postby Lizzie_Claymore » 25 Mar 2010, 22:22

For fairly heavy duty action (but non-disposable so you have to have somewhere to keep it), builders' merchants do the heavy damp-proof membrane (Visquene - thick blue poly) in 4m width by as long as you want off the roll. I can't remember how much it is but when you factor in the fact that you'll get many uses out of it compared with the flimsy decorators' sheeting, it works out quite economically. I usually get mine from Travis Perkins or Firwood but most places will have it.
Lizzie_Claymore

Fetlife: Lizzie_Claymore
UMD: Lizzie_Claymore

Postby dunktankbabes » 27 Mar 2010, 01:39

If you are after heavy duty tarpaulins, these people are very good.

http://www.tonybeal.com/tarp.htm

I know quite a few photographers who have used them to get a matt white tarpaulin to use as a back drop.
dunktankbabes

Postby Candy Custard » 28 Mar 2010, 22:48

I tend to use one or two asda smartprice shower curtains, and something like a towel or sheet on top

heavy duty plastic is great but I have a job getting hold of it

paddling pools are great also lined with plastic and a sheet :mrgreen:
Candy Custard

Postby JanetandNick » 04 Jun 2010, 07:34

NDC Damp Proof Membrane Black 1200 Gauge 3m x 4m
from http://www.diy.com

complete link (you have to copy & paste, the tag doesn't seem to work if it's too long)
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273080&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=10&fh_eds=

Worked perfectly for the girl-girl oil sexwrestling, nice and shiny so looks like PVC, but much stronger.
Not a drip on our sitting room carpet despite 10 lites of babyoil !

Janet
xxxxxx
~~~We love to meet other sexy wammers~~~
JanetandNick

Return to Practical Sploshing