Building a Gunge Tank - A work in progress

Goo-it-yourself advice from our band of home sploshers on everything from making a good custard pie to building a gunge tank. A sort of Stickki-pedia!

Re: Building a Gunge Tank - A work in progress

Postby SlimeShady » 13 Sep 2010, 18:33

Did you ever get your machine working? Just wondered.
I have built some various machines and was thinking of selling them.
SlimeShady

Postby paperclips6 » 14 Sep 2010, 19:59

Ah yes - I really should up date this!!...

I made some progress though it's not totally there yet. Need to try and finnd the lead for my camera to explain the rest...
paperclips6

Postby messylaura » 20 Sep 2010, 19:38

you do know that the simplest gunge tank is a carrier bag or dustbin bag over the bath and a knife on a stick as the release method......... :mrgreen:
wam search words: Мокрая, ливень, alluvione
messylaura

Postby gungeychris » 19 May 2011, 16:18

Well, just to keep this thread going..... one bucket with a plug hole and plug on chain type system, in an old wardrobe....very good coverage too! :P
Attachments
empty tank.JPG
empty tank.JPG (56.97 KiB) Viewed 14897 times
gungeychris

Postby robhenshaw2000 » 12 Dec 2011, 23:41

Hi, not sure if anyone is still following this thread or if indeed there is any interest in building a DIY gunge tank. I have been experimenting with a rig based on a very similar design to that of the last poster. Can I ask if one bucket is a sufficient quantity of gunge or if it would be better with more? Also, how long (approx) it takes to empty the bucket through a 1.5" aperature. I accept the thickness of the gunge will have a bearing on this.

Thanks in advance

Rob
robhenshaw2000

Postby dunktankbabes » 21 Dec 2011, 14:49

We have been planning on either building or buying a tank for a while now for our hire business. The issu I always had with building our own was the release mechanism. Was thinking about using the simple toilet style flush system but not sure how that would work. Keen to hear what others have used and how reliable it is.
dunktankbabes

Postby robhenshaw2000 » 04 Jan 2012, 23:12

Okay, so after a bit of thinking and bit of messing around in the shed. I have finally cracked it. I have put together a simple design that can sit over any standard rectangular bath or shower cubicle that is capable of faultlessly delivering up 25 litres of thick gunge operated by a simple pullcord. Flow rate seems to be about 0.5 litres per second. I've attached a pic of it in action - sorry it's only me and not some hot model!

The design also:

Is safe and sturdy
Can be adjusted for height up to 6' 6"
Comes apart for easy and compact transportation and cleaning
Prevents gunge from going anywhere but on the victim
Can be refilled easily

I'm curious to know, is this something that might be of interest to WAMMERS?
Attachments
X1 10.jpg
X1 10.jpg (276.46 KiB) Viewed 14519 times
robhenshaw2000

Postby maxoverdrive » 08 Jan 2012, 10:04

Definitely of interest. Perhaps you could put together a video showing how you put it together and set it up?
maxoverdrive

Postby robhenshaw2000 » 31 Jan 2012, 20:36

Hi,

Sorry for delayed reply. I will try to put together a series of stills or maybe even a video showing you how it all goes together. It's very simple indeed. My thoughts were to release plans so DIY'ers can build one themselves. The release mechanism is the key to the success of this design, so I will probably make them up and sell them to anyone who wants to build up the frame. If only I had more time....

Rob
robhenshaw2000

Postby gungeychris » 11 Apr 2012, 23:22

I'm sure you can all spot what this was meant to be used for, but after moving some of the poles, and re-arranging them to hold the bucket...it works much better than the fairly open previous version....next project on it is a bigger bucket/container...but for now, I present...my tank MKII!!
Attachments
DSC_0347.JPG
DSC_0347.JPG (3.57 MiB) Viewed 14213 times
gungeychris

Postby dunktankbabes » 09 Sep 2012, 11:35

Did anyone ever get any further with the Gunge Tanks ?

We've just started ours now after all this time !
Have the frame worked out and am using a shower tray as the base but still not sure what way to go with the release mechanism. The plan is to get the "booth" built then play around with ideas on the release mechanism. Best option I have found so far is the toilet flush release mentioned earlier. What was the flow like with 1 of these ? was it really that slow ?
dunktankbabes

Postby dunktankbabes » 24 Sep 2012, 20:25

Well our tank is begining to come together, I've complicated matters a bit by having it so it can be dismantled to be moved around for events. Have a small water tank for the gunge, not sure how that side is going to work yet. Going for an 1 1/2" outlet, this may be a bit slow for the gunge but we'll soon find out. Have also found some 2" or even 3" gate valves online if we need to go for a faster release.
Not sure if the picture will work as its from our FB page. If it doesn't, just check out our Face book page for some pictures.

dunktankbabes

Postby dunktankbabes » 04 Oct 2012, 20:57

Well we kind of finished the tank, still needs finishing and some paint but at least it works !
Attachments
DAV_1444.jpg
DAV_1444.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 13895 times
dunktankbabes

Postby alext » 09 Oct 2012, 18:08

That looks brilliant! How much did it cost to build in the end?
alext

Postby dunktankbabes » 10 Oct 2012, 11:54

It was probably around £650 ish all in. I think we're going to put thicker perspex in which was quite a bit more though. We also built it so it dismantles and can be transported around to events easily. That made things a bit more complicated.
We have considered building them to order now we have got the first one up and running.
dunktankbabes

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Sploshing