Building a Gunge Tank - A work in progress

Goo-it-yourself advice from our band of home sploshers on everything from making a good custard pie to building a gunge tank. A sort of Stickki-pedia!

Re: Building a Gunge Tank - A work in progress

Postby Leena » 10 Feb 2010, 06:19

I am no engineer but regarding the part where there might be gunge stuck at the bottom unable to drain, you should get something like an aluminium sheet and have it set at an angle down into the release hole. This could be easily secured to the walls/base of the tank and act in a similar way to the fat draining trays you find in rotisserie ovens. Only instead of being blocks of solid metal, it is small pieces of aluminium. Advantage of this, of course, is that low friction will mean more slop draining through and not needing to be scooped out in cleanup.
Leena

Postby T-34 » 10 Feb 2010, 13:54

Plastic would work as well, and is probably a bit nicer to work with (less sharp edges). Bit of silicon would seal all the edges down. For your power supply a drill battery would work as well if you so wished, I dunno how much charge you'll get out of a car battery pack so can't really say what's better

As for connecting the motor to the cables, what sort of connector is on the motor?
T-34

Postby SlimeShady » 10 Feb 2010, 17:03

Err... didn't I suggest central locking motors earlier?
If your very careful... put your expansion tank on some bricks or blocks around the edge. Place a jam jar or similar in the centre with a heavy block on top.
Then just play a blowtorch flame over the base of the tank - BUT KEEP IT MOVING. The base will drop into a funnel shape. Don't let it lower by more than a few inches, but its enough to create a drainage slope.

Failing that, glue some plastic modelling styrene sheet (you can get it in model shops) into the base using clear general purpose silicon. Its cheap and cleans off easy.
Either keep it simple and cut a pair of rectangles - glued at end end sloping to the middle (most of the goo would exit), or go posh and cut four triangles to suit the box and glue them inside to create a funnel.
SlimeShady

Postby paperclips6 » 10 Feb 2010, 20:33

At present I'm considering gluings/sealing in a rectangle on plastic either end to make the situation better then just acception that a small part will not drain.

Thanks for the ideas guy - keep 'em coming!

Slimeshady - You did indeed that the idea was a good one!
Only need to work out how I can conect the motor end to the flush pull/cable.

I could easily just srew it on, but i want to if possible devise some kind of fancy quick release system so I can quickly and easily move the motors out the way for cleanup.
paperclips6

Postby paperclips6 » 10 Feb 2010, 20:36

Also most of my control unit stuff came in the post today - just waiting for a few more bits and the motors themselves!

Check it out:

Image Image Image

The green switch will turn it on and the amber switch will start the timer. The two circuits inside are the timers and are both adjustable, so to start with I'd test is with say a 60 second count down and then it will open the tank up for ten seconds.
The red light will show up when the motors are active, though this is more for future fault checking and effect and serves little real use!
Finally if you've not guessed it the red covered switch is the manual over ride!!

Obviously the battery will be external to the unit and I plan to have one removable power lead and one removable "operation" lead.

I would also like to find and include a way of having like a plug/and socket on the control box for these. Not essential, but it makes it neat and looks more professional!
paperclips6

Postby SlimeShady » 11 Feb 2010, 15:36

Put a CDS cell (light sensor) in line with the rotary timer adjustment control and you will get a variable timer +/- an unknown time variation depending on the ambient light at the time you use it.
Just adds a bit of an 'unknown' to the event....

Could have it as a further switch. If the timer came with a circuit diagram - post it and I will show you where to alter the circuit. Only needs 2 minutes with a soldering iron.
SlimeShady

Postby paperclips6 » 12 Feb 2010, 23:13

Ok; anotehr update:

I have decided to stick with the central heating tank now and today received and fitted the rest of the toilet valves. So now I have something that's really taking shape - the three valves fit quite well in the tank and aside from drilling the holes I have not had to modify the top, so it still has a lid.

I'm thinking that I will mabe use the lid to mount the motors to now.

Also with the gunge release part starting to near completion I've had to start thinking about part two - the tank.

My goal is to ulimatly build something that is free-standing and will support to weight of the gunge up top and provide a nice booth for the gungee to sit.
I've not got many ideas yet but ideas are welcomed.
Any idiot could build a wooden frame for this, but the challenge is to make something that can be dismantled and is portable.
paperclips6

Postby SlimeShady » 13 Feb 2010, 10:01

Best bet for a frame might be a simple frame made out of electrical galvanised conduit (electrical wholesaler will be far cheaper than B&Q). That would be strong if you diagonally brace it and support a large weight.
Put rubber feet on one end of the pole (B&Q sell feet that fit 20mm pipe). And then simply join the corners using bolts with wing nuts.
If your feeling keen, you can thread the conduit ends with a die - available from the electrical wholesaler, but cutting the thread is hard work. But, then you can buy corners, tee boxes, cross boxes etc that all would simply thread together - no need for wing nuts.

B&Q also sell square profile rails that you can build frames out of. They have al the connectors available to make boxes, frames etc. The connectors however are designed to be knocked in with a hammer so it might not be very easy to dismantle.

Have fun

PS. I did think of making a batch of 'home' gunge tanks and sticking them up on Ebay. Wonder if that would be an idea?
SlimeShady

Re: Building a Gunge Tank - Updated 14/02/2010

Postby paperclips6 » 14 Feb 2010, 01:54

SlimeShady - Thanks for the suggestion but I think that galvanised conduit carries issues.
Firstly it's not cheap enough, secondly it'd be a metal structure and so heavier and also I feel cleanup would be slightly harder.

I have given a lot of thought to the actual "booth" today.
One consideration I hadn't contemplated before was height. I am 6' tall, and the gunge nozzles would have to be at least 6" higher and then the top part of the tank would be another 14" from there.
To make is a standing room I'd be looking at making something over 8' tall!!
I've decided that it'll be seating room only with the nozzle about 5' from the ground.
This means that the build will be easier and that a ladder won't be required to fill it!

Looking at materials I have already ruled out metal. Aside from above I generally think metal should be avioded.
I've also decided that timber is a bad plan too as it'll suffer when wet.

Getting to the point I've gone from plastic tubing! It's cheap, available in many sizes and can to glued, bolted, screwed, tied - whatever you like!
After searching the net I've now purchased all the materials I think I'll need!!! (Another £80 gone!)

Plan is a plasic frame with plastic sheeting on the sides to contain mess. There will be no door.
Only part to consider now is the base as this is currently open.
I could make something for this but I'm not sure how it'd work. Planning to use a paddling pool until a better idea comes along!!!
paperclips6

Postby SlimeShady » 14 Feb 2010, 09:52

Wow.... this must be getting really expensive. £80 for some plastic pipe????

ok. Galv metal cleans really easy and doesn't rust.... I was just thinking of supporting weight. It will be heavier than you think.

If the plastic pipe you have is 50mm+ then it could be free standing with bracing. You could probably get away with thinner plastic pipe if you brace very it well and use the panels to also keep the frame square.
Cheapest pipe again.... PVC electrical conduit. 25mm is the largest but would a lot of bracing to support any weight.

Base.... second hand shower tray... the moulded plastic type (fibreglass weigh a ton).
If you use 4mm polycarbonate - that is pretty strong stuff. You could just simply make your own base using angled aluminium and clear silicon+rivets for joining the sides. Would be light too.

How about one of those builders mixing trays. You can get plastic trays for builders to mix cement on. They are about 5' square and weigh nothing.
Kids sandpit? There are loads of pre-made plastic trays around.

Ebay is the best place for plastic sheeting. EG. You can get 900mm x 900mm x4mm polycarbonate clear sheet (shatterproof) for £6 a sheet - plus any other sizes you want, delivered pre-cut. They also do a pack of 10 polycarbonate sheets - 4mm thick, 2ft x 4ft (designed for greenhouses) for £3.50 a sheet individually.

Might be easier to install 4x discreet white hooks into the ceiling joists above your shower! Then just hang t up when required.

Or - assuming you could use your shower tray... fit an extractor fan grille centre of the ceiling that is actually false and removable with a nice hook behind it attached to the ceiling joists. Hang a decent weight of that.

Arhhh so many options, so little time.
SlimeShady

Postby T-34 » 14 Feb 2010, 10:14

If you're being really anal galvanized metal will (very) eventually rust... sacrificial anode :D

I'd be very worried about the performance of plastic if I were you. While I can't comment on the plastic you have, I dunno what type it is, plastic tends to be brittle, so failure is sudden with no warning (steel and timber deforms before failure, giving you a chance to move). Screws and fixings will cause stress concentrations in the plastic, so keep a sharp eye out for cracks around these

Timber will perform admirably if you take a little while to treat it before use
T-34

Postby SlimeShady » 14 Feb 2010, 10:55

Got to agree... plastic tubing isn't really designed to support weight. It will need a huge amount of bracing etc.
Either that, or fill the pipe with timber to strengthen it.
Drill a hole in PVC pipe and that is where it will eventually fail..... for certain. Best bet will be to use some sort of clamp instead or proper glued connectors. Far from the best option I fear.

Galv will eventually rust yes... but better slight rust than a snapped neck from PVC pipe failure! Just make sure you dry the baked beans off it!

Timber... planned timber, few coats of decent paint or varnish..... perfect + cheap + light.

Hey... save all this frame crap.... buy a self priming 10mm solids pump for about £80. Just pump the goo up a 2" flexible pipe from a floor bucket! Hang the nozzle on a simple camera tripod.

Like I said..... many many ways to get the same result.

I personally prefer my girlfriend (StickyTara - UMD profile) simply holding the bucket... actually, I prefer holding the bucket while she gets the goo

Like someone said earlier.... first few trials I would wear a hard hat :shock:
SlimeShady

Re: Building a Gunge Tank - A work in progress UPDATED 10/02/10

Postby james1990 » 12 Apr 2010, 23:23

paperclips6 wrote:Again feedback and sugestions are welcomed! If anyones proves helpful then maybe they can take a test ride when it's done!

Damnit, this is why I should have done Engineering and not Physics! To be useful so that you would gunge me in this contraption ;)
james1990

Postby DungeonMasterOne » 14 Apr 2010, 20:42

Fascinating thread, please keep us updated with how it goes!
- DungeonMasterOne
- http://www.gungemaster.com - Visit Saturation Hall, the UK's messiest stately home!
- by my hand and seal, as Lady Jasmine commands.
DungeonMasterOne

Postby SlimeShady » 15 Apr 2010, 20:50

I am playing around in the garage building some 'machines'. Planning to build a free standing gunge tank, a portable gunge tank, a gunge gun, a pie thrower and I have a few other ideas.

Then, after testing them on my girlfriend, I will probably sell them on here. Keep an eye out in the adverts!
SlimeShady

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Sploshing