Is there anybody there?

Boring but essential stuff about broken links etc.

Is there anybody there?

Postby glynnnn1 » 24 Nov 2008, 16:54

I became a member of Gillysillyhouse on the 6th October '08.

The first time I tried to download a Wmv movie it started and then stopped almost immediately.
I tried a few more times on different movies but with the same result.

I sent an email to the Webmaster on the 6th asking if the problem was with my computer or at Gillysillyhouse and also posted the question on Gilly's forum.

Two more emails were sent to the Webmaster on the 12th and 15th Oct but I still haven't had a reply to any of the emails or on the forum.

And I still can't download Wmv movies!

All I want is a reply to my question - is there anybody out there who can help?
glynnnn1

Postby muckypup » 24 Nov 2008, 19:56

Looks like no one is picking the emails up there then! Try emailing Bill at bill@splosh.co.uk

The films seem to work fine for me, so I'd guess it was your computer rather than anything else but I can appreciate it is probably very frustrating not getting a reply!

Have you downloaded/saved them to your computer and then tried to play them or have you just clicked on the link in the webpage? If you are just streaming it it might just start and then stop nearly straight away as it won't be able to download it fast enough to keep up.

Do you get any messages like "Buffering" or anything like that?
muckypup

Fetlife: muckipup
UMD: muckypup

Postby Richard » 25 Nov 2008, 00:15

That has happened to me; you right click 'save target as', it starts, says it's done it, then stops. What you must do is repeat the process then when it tells you that the download already exists and would you like to replace it (or something similar) press 'yes' and it will start to download properly, taking a few minutes to do it.

It's a pain but it happens every time and you soon get used to it.

Hope this helps.
Bottoms Up!
Richard

Postby glynnnn1 » 25 Nov 2008, 10:31

Thanks muckypup and Richard for replying.

I have been able to download movies using the Divx button and saved them to my computer but Wmv would have been easier and I prefer that type of file.

The most annoying thing is the lack of response from them.

Could the Gillysillyhouse site is on the verge of packing up.?
Perhaps that might explain the lack of replies and inaction from them.
glynnnn1

Postby BillShipton » 25 Nov 2008, 10:55

Excuse me, I sent you a PM as soon as I got this yesterday - also explaining why I moved it to the Technical part of the forum. So I responded immediately.

I also explained about our techie guy's illness in October and had I known about your problem I would have dealt with it earlier. GSH is NOT on the point of closing down. We are still producing films for it and there is a vast back catalogue on site.

Bill
BillShipton

Postby BillShipton » 25 Nov 2008, 10:57

BillShipton wrote:Excuse me, I sent you a PM as soon as I got this yesterday - also explaining why I moved it to the Technical part of the forum. So I responded immediately. I also explained that as you were the only person who had reported the problem (Richard had never mentioned it to us) that it was probably a glitch rather than anything fundamental.

Furthermore I also told you about our techie guy's illness in October and had I known about your problem I would have dealt with it earlier. GSH is NOT on the point of closing down. We are still producing films for it and there is a vast back catalogue on site.

Bill
BillShipton

Postby glynnnn1 » 25 Nov 2008, 16:26

Bill,

Thanks for your explanation about the Techie guys illness on this forum but any email you sent in the last few days has not arrived to my computer.

I'm glad GSH is not in any difficulty and I would like to view any future movies but I would also like to see them in Wmv format although I'm still unable to do so.

Please would you ask your techie guy to send me any info he has on the problem when he's available.
glynnnn1

Postby BillShipton » 26 Nov 2008, 16:02

It was a PM not an email if that makes any difference.

Bill
BillShipton

Postby Richard » 26 Nov 2008, 18:48

Sorry I failed to report the glitch when I noticed it; to be honest I thought the fault might be at my end and as it wasn't too serious I just lived with it.

Reminds me, I must get round to renewing my subscription! :oops:
Bottoms Up!
Richard

Postby glynnnn1 » 27 Nov 2008, 09:22

Bill,

I had never heard of 'PM' before you mentioned it.
Could you tell me how to access the message?

I'm still unable to download Wmv movies and time is running out on my membership.

I also notice that the 'House of Muckula' was posted at least 28 days ago and no new offerings during my months subscription seems to be a somewhat poor return for the money.

Will I renew?
Hmmmm!
glynnnn1

Postby dirtydids » 06 Dec 2008, 11:46

glynnnn1 wrote:Bill,

I'm still unable to download Wmv movies and time is running out on my membership.

I also notice that the 'House of Muckula' was posted at least 28 days ago and no new offerings during my months subscription seems to be a somewhat poor return for the money.

Will I renew?
Hmmmm!

I would not normally comment on comments like this but as a past producer myself i often have wondered just how many people realise what is actually involved doing shoots.

Bill, like myself basically does it all himself from the shoot itself to the editing etc.
This is all time consuming work plus you then have to load the finished work onto the servers and make sure evrything is ok.

I used to update every week with Messymercedes,we both have our full time jobs outside of WAM and believe me the pressures to get shoots done and update every week are enormous and at times just downright impossible, which is one of the reasons why at the present time Messymercedes is no longer taking memberships and is on hold and not being updated, I dont even know if the site will ever resume in its old format at this moment in time.

I know several times when we were late updating for no fault of our own (weather) we were bombarded with mails and adverse comments and it makes one wonder if it is worth it all at the end.
All i say to you is give people a chance, its better to wait and see a good result than put pressure on producers and get a shoddy rushed job, plus also remember we also have a life outside of WAM, and Bill who i have met several times is not the type of person to con anyone.
dids
I love a messy girl
dirtydids

Postby BillShipton » 06 Dec 2008, 12:46

glynnnn1 wrote:Bill,

Will I renew?
Hmmmm!

A new film has just gone up giving two 15-20 minute films plus exclusive access to a huge back catalgoue of movies for £12 this month. Normally we do three to four films a month but unfortunately both Gilly and I have been ill or unanavailable in this period. We are trying to remedy periods like this by using new people - see the post in the main forum.

I have taken the WMV matter up with our technical guy. I personally can't do anything about that, but the films are available in DivX and always have been. We also haven't had any other complaints about WMV until you came along.

As for you not looking at your messages (top of this screen where it says "You have new messages"), that is scarcely our fault.

I you want to leave, go. We have hundreds of people who are very happy with the Silly House and some great stuff coming up for Christmas.

Bill
BillShipton

Return to Technical Questions