Only partial pages being shown on Firefox but ok on IE

Boring but essential stuff about broken links etc.

Only partial pages being shown on Firefox but ok on IE

Postby Lizzie_Claymore » 25 Oct 2008, 14:48

I'm wondering whether anyone else is having trouble viewing pages on the Splosh site using FireFox?

I'm finding that more often than not, pages will start to appear, with the full-sized pics. Then the pics shrink down to miniscule thumbnails and only part of the page is shown, without the 'reply' buttons at the bottom - sometimes only part of the initial poster's message is visible, sometimes more. Doing an F5 doesn't often solve it but sometimes does, randomly.

Viewing the same page on IE is ok, however (but I normally use Firefox as it's so much better (and quicker)).

This only seems to affect the splosh site - I'm not having trouble elsewhere. I've tried clearing diskspace by emptying the trash can and clearing the cache but it still does it.

Is there one of those annoying inconsistencies in the code that's being used by phpbb that means that it's compatible with IE but not FF? (Mind you, I don't have this problem with other bulletin boards using phpbb with FF so I'm assuming it must be something switchable at your end.)

Any ideas, pup?
Lizzie_Claymore

Fetlife: Lizzie_Claymore
UMD: Lizzie_Claymore

Postby matt2matt2002 » 25 Oct 2008, 15:45

Hi ya Claymore
I am a big Firefox man but dinnae have your problems.

Sorry I cannae help any more than that.
Cheers
I think sex is better than logic
but I can't prove it.
matt2matt2002

Postby muckypup » 25 Oct 2008, 18:37

I've changed a few things from the standard phpbb so it might be that I've broken something. I have tested it with firefox but I'll check again. Can you post a link to a thread which doesnt work properly?

Cheers
muckypup

Fetlife: muckipup
UMD: muckypup

Postby muckypup » 25 Oct 2008, 19:31

I've just checked on FF and it seems ok to me. What version are you using and is it on Windows or something else?

It could have something to do with static caused by tights?
muckypup

Postby Lizzie_Claymore » 26 Oct 2008, 00:19

muckypup wrote:I've just checked on FF and it seems ok to me. What version are you using and is it on Windows or something else?

FF is version 3.03 and I'm using Windows 2000, including all the latest service packs and updates. (Yes - I know that's a bit old but I prefer it to XP!)

An example thread is:
http://www.splosh.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 99&start=0
This has scaled the pics as far as 'bad girl' into miniscule thumbnails (though I know it'll have actually transferred the full-size versions) then the start of 'heels in mess' shows the filesize and number of views but that's as far as it gets. Nothing at all thereafter.

Incidentally, I've noticed that when you click on the 'updated' box to the left of a thread, it gives a bizarre reference for the thread start. For example, I've just clicked that on the same thread as above and got this:
http://www.splosh.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 2069#42069
Surely the start location shouldn't also be 42069? That's the thread number isn't it?

muckypup wrote:It could have something to do with static caused by tights?

LoL. How did you know I am currently wearing 3 pairs?! ;-) In fact, I've also got a stretchy lycra top on and a similar tight-fitting micro-skirt so I'm probably generating enough sparks to light a small town!
Lizzie_Claymore

Postby BillShipton » 26 Oct 2008, 13:43

Hi

Have just tried opening that page in Firefox on my Mac and it worked fine. The pics were a tiny bit slow to open but they all appeared full size.

Bill
BillShipton

Postby matt2matt2002 » 26 Oct 2008, 16:17

I too have checked out the link you said did not work - and it just worked for me.
I think sex is better than logic
but I can't prove it.
matt2matt2002

Postby muckypup » 26 Oct 2008, 20:52

I've checked on XP and FF 3.0.3 and it works for me too I'm afraid. Not sure what can be up. I got the mod that does the image resizing from the phpbb site and although its not the way I would have done it I tweaked it a bit and it all seems to work for me.

Do you have any plugins loaded in FF?

Oh and the link is right I think, without being too boring viewtopic?p=xxx goes opens the topic which contains the post xxx, and viewtopic?t=yyy opens the topic yyy.
muckypup

Postby Lizzie_Claymore » 26 Oct 2008, 21:44

muckypup wrote:I've checked on XP and FF 3.0.3 and it works for me too I'm afraid. Not sure what can be up. I got the mod that does the image resizing from the phpbb site and although its not the way I would have done it I tweaked it a bit and it all seems to work for me.

Maybe it's because (...I'm a Londoner .. altogether now!)... no, no ... maybe it's because I'm still on Win2K rather than XP? I know most things work ok on both but I have also come across cases where there are odd detailed differences every now and then.
muckypup wrote:Do you have any plugins loaded in FF?

The only ones I have loaded are IEview (adds 'open this page in IE' in the right click menu) and the British English Dictionary. All pretty innocuous.
muckypup wrote:Oh and the link is right I think, without being too boring viewtopic?p=xxx goes opens the topic which contains the post xxx, and viewtopic?t=yyy opens the topic yyy.

Indeed, but the one I've quoted gives just the p version with the page number twice (once after a #). Is that normal too? (Maybe it is - just checking!) As an example, here's one from a different fetish site witha phpbb forum that shows the end of the URL as the status ('unread') rather than a repeat of the page number.
http://www.pantyhosexperience.com/viewt ... ead#unread

Probably no satisfactory answer to be found on this one, I suspect. Thanks for you efforts anyway!
Lizzie_Claymore

Postby Lizzie_Claymore » 02 Nov 2008, 13:32

Hey pup,

I've just had an idea and it may have worked!

Although I'd previous tried clearing the cache, which didn't affect the situation, I've just found a load of cookies from the splosh site. I've removed those and it seems to have cured it, though whether that will be permanent, I'm not sure.

If it does it again, I'll try to copy them before deleting them to see whether you can track down what's generating them. (It could be to do with the 'always log me on' cookie as, of course, I just had to login again to send this message, despite having been logged in before I deleted the cookies, or maybe it's to do with which of the posts are 'new'.) There were about half a dozen cookies that I zapped.

Regards,
C_W.

PS: While I remember, in the list of threads, how come some titles come up as pale blue while others come up as dark blue? I notice this occurs randomly even when the 'new post' indicator is showing on previously read threads, so doesn't seem to reflect the 'previously clicked/unclicked' location, which is what I had been assuming?
Lizzie_Claymore

Postby muckypup » 03 Nov 2008, 20:36

God you ask a lot of questions dont you? ;)

Glad that has helped, I wonder if you had a cookie from before we moved hosts and that has confused things?? Hope it keeps on working.

As for the light blue/dark blue thing, it might be that the links you have visited previously are light blue and the ones you haven't are dark blue.

Oh and whilst I'm at it I was wondering whether you observation about the URLs being different to other forums was because the other forum was using vBulletin which is a very similar forum to the one we use??
muckypup

Postby Lizzie_Claymore » 04 Nov 2008, 00:03

muckypup wrote:God you ask a lot of questions dont you? ;)

True but it's all good stuff! LoL.

muckypup wrote:Glad that has helped, I wonder if you had a cookie from before we moved hosts and that has confused things?? Hope it keeps on working.

Sadly not - it's started doing it again BUT doing f5 now tends to solve a duff page serve in one go, unlike before. The cookies that have reloaded since the clearout are phpbb2mysql_sid, phpbb2mysql_date, phpbb2mysql_t and phpbb2mysql_f, if that helps at all. (Probably not!)

muckypup wrote:As for the light blue/dark blue thing, it might be that the links you have visited previously are light blue and the ones you haven't are dark blue.

No, that's what I was meaning about the randomness of it. Ones that I have already visited are randomly dark or light. The only possible correlation that I can spot is that it seems to be multi-page threads that remain dark, even if I've previously visited them. (It's not important - just curious, really, as someone must have coded it to do that so there must be a reason for it!)

muckypup wrote:Oh and whilst I'm at it I was wondering whether you observation about the URLs being different to other forums was because the other forum was using vBulletin which is a very similar forum to the one we use??

Ah - could be, though I noticed it did say "powered by phpBB" at the bottom of its page - I assumed it would be the same. (Perhaps not.)
Lizzie_Claymore

Postby dirtydids » 04 Nov 2008, 21:04

Hiya Claymore

Using Firefox(latest version) now for over 4 months without a glitch.....everything works for me, I also have XP Pro IE7 installed and thats fine as well

Hope you get it sorted soon

Dids
I love a messy girl
dirtydids

Postby muckypup » 06 Nov 2008, 19:40

Claymore_wam wrote:
muckypup wrote:God you ask a lot of questions dont you? ;)

True but it's all good stuff! LoL.

muckypup wrote:Glad that has helped, I wonder if you had a cookie from before we moved hosts and that has confused things?? Hope it keeps on working.

Sadly not - it's started doing it again BUT doing f5 now tends to solve a duff page serve in one go, unlike before. The cookies that have reloaded since the clearout are phpbb2mysql_sid, phpbb2mysql_date, phpbb2mysql_t and phpbb2mysql_f, if that helps at all. (Probably not!)

muckypup wrote:As for the light blue/dark blue thing, it might be that the links you have visited previously are light blue and the ones you haven't are dark blue.

No, that's what I was meaning about the randomness of it. Ones that I have already visited are randomly dark or light. The only possible correlation that I can spot is that it seems to be multi-page threads that remain dark, even if I've previously visited them. (It's not important - just curious, really, as someone must have coded it to do that so there must be a reason for it!)

muckypup wrote:Oh and whilst I'm at it I was wondering whether you observation about the URLs being different to other forums was because the other forum was using vBulletin which is a very similar forum to the one we use??

Ah - could be, though I noticed it did say "powered by phpBB" at the bottom of its page - I assumed it would be the same. (Perhaps not.)

Sounds like I was wrong with all of my assumptions there then :) Although to do with the links it does sound as if it's to do with visited/unvisted. Possibly something to do with the fact that if you click on '1' in a multi page thing that is not the same link as if you click on the main topic title...
muckypup

Return to Technical Questions