Phpbb3

Boring but essential stuff about broken links etc.

Phpbb3

Postby thegamerster » 17 Jul 2008, 00:55

I was wondering Will this forum ever Upgrade to Phpbb 3 since you need to soon.
thegamerster

Postby muckypup » 17 Jul 2008, 19:29

Funny you should say that. I have been playing around with installing it but as the hosting is all a bit up in the air at the moment we probably won't roll it out until thats fixed.

It's not sploshified and will be deleted very shortly so dont post on there, but you can look at http://www.splosh.co.uk/phpBB3 if you like.

In terms of having to upgrade, they might withdraw support at some point but we could still carry on using it if we wanted.
muckypup

Fetlife: muckipup
UMD: muckypup

Postby thegamerster » 17 Jul 2008, 21:21

It looks good with phpbb3 and you are i right about withdrawing support for phpbb2 since newer versions of php won't support phpbb2. But the Admin panel of phpbb3 is a bit confusing at first but once you get used to it it is fine.
thegamerster

Postby Hayley » 19 Jul 2008, 09:27

Oh God. Will I have to learn a new one?
Hayley
Site Admin

Postby DungeonMasterOne » 19 Jul 2008, 10:56

TBH, unless there's a significant security issue discovered in V2, upgrading isn't actually essential.

I'm on forums that use V2 and others that use V3 - I've mostly stopped visiting the V3 ones, it's horrible to use compared to the clean layout of V2. They're trying to emulate the "social networking" features of things like Facebook, and making the forums less usable in the process, IMHO.
- DungeonMasterOne
- http://www.gungemaster.com - Visit Saturation Hall, the UK's messiest stately home!
- by my hand and seal, as Lady Jasmine commands.
DungeonMasterOne

Return to Technical Questions