ARE YOU HAVING PROBLEMS REGISTERING?

Boring but essential stuff about broken links etc.

ARE YOU HAVING PROBLEMS REGISTERING?

Postby Hayley » 25 Mar 2007, 00:22

Well, you are not alone but help is here!

In order to keep spammers down to an acceptable level, we have so many "bans" in place that some of you are having trouble registering to join our fab forum. And without registering you can't post and join in the fun!

However, don't panic, we have the answer. If you are having problems, simply send your user name, password and email address to us at sploshcentral@aol.com and we will do it all for you. You can then change your password, if you like, so you retain total privacy.

Okay, it is a bit more of a nuisance for you but compared to handling dozens of spams a day, it is a lot simpler for us.

Thanks.

Hayley and Bill
Hayley
Site Admin

Re: ARE YOU HAVING PROBLEMS REGISTERING?

Postby Richard » 14 Feb 2009, 18:19

I'm having a problem with logging in. I have two pcs, one on XP and one on Vista. I normally use the XP one but today, when I tried to log in, it accepted me but when I tried to do anything I got sent back to the log-in page. After several goes I switched to the Vista pc and got in straight away. I don't like Vista so don't normally use this machine. Any ideas?

Edit:
This is getting weirder, I can access the forum on my laptop (also on XP)., but still can't on the main pc. However I have no problems with other sites & forums.
Bottoms Up!
Richard

Postby muckypup » 15 Feb 2009, 17:03

I think it might be a problem with cookies on your PC. If you know how to you might want to clear the cookies on the browser that you are having trouble with.

Not 100% sure whether this second option will work, but if you use the Delete all board cookies link down at the bottom of the page that might work too. Let us know if you can't fix it.
muckypup

Fetlife: muckipup
UMD: muckypup

Postby Richard » 15 Feb 2009, 22:18

Yup, that seems to work, I tried the 'Delete all board cookies' first but that made no difference so I went to the control panel & deleted all cookies. I am now able to do all I wanted so thanks very much, you are a hero!!!!! :D .

I'm just slightly puzzled though; when I logged in after doing all the deleting, I typed in the R and the forum recognised me straight away and suggested 'Richard'. I clicked on that and the row of dots for my password appeared. Clicked on 'log in' and was instantly admitted as usual. How could that happen when there were no cookies left in the pc? Spooky!
Bottoms Up!
Richard

Postby muckypup » 16 Feb 2009, 08:03

Richard wrote:Yup, that seems to work, I tried the 'Delete all board cookies' first but that made no difference so I went to the control panel & deleted all cookies. I am now able to do all I wanted so thanks very much, you are a hero!!!!! :D .

I'm just slightly puzzled though; when I logged in after doing all the deleting, I typed in the R and the forum recognised me straight away and suggested 'Richard'. I clicked on that and the row of dots for my password appeared. Clicked on 'log in' and was instantly admitted as usual. How could that happen when there were no cookies left in the pc? Spooky!

Cool glad it helped.

As for the password thing, most browsers save usernames and passwords these days, but they save them in their own password manager (there is probably an option to delete passwords somewhere around the delete cookies bit - not that you'd want to). Cookies aren't very secure so you wouldn't want to save things like passwords in them.
muckypup

Fetlife: muckipup
UMD: muckypup

Return to Technical Questions