Off Topic - well sort of

Boring but essential stuff about broken links etc.

Off Topic - well sort of

Postby stace » 14 Jan 2007, 15:29

Not a techy question about the site, but techy none the less...

I'm after a decent peer 2 peer network (for d/ling music) that's not going to bottom out on me or become loaded with spyware gadgets and gizmos that take over the computer!!

Have tried Winmx, Ares and Morpheus and all have become crap to try and download stuff from. Nuts...

If anyone knows of any good ones, give us a yell! It's a pain in the arse trying to get one that works!
Watch out for fridges in public spaces...
stace

Postby muckypup » 14 Jan 2007, 19:18

Have you tried bittorrent? utorrent http://www.utorrent.com is probably the best one. There are plenty of good sites around (apparently) I assume you are just dling non-copyrighted works? ;)
muckypup

Fetlife: muckipup
UMD: muckypup

Postby stace » 16 Jan 2007, 11:24

Oh of course! *whistles inconspiciously* :roll:
Watch out for fridges in public spaces...
stace

Postby wam_latex » 16 Jan 2007, 18:52

Bittorrent is pretty good but the only other p2p network that I've found anyway half decent is Filetopia. It's got a built in messaging system so you could get in touch with people. But always bear in mind that any p2p network means you're potentially opening your machine to other users to browse.

There's also the binary newsgroups. I'm currently monitoring the mp3 groups for downloads of the music I have on vinyl (this is simpler and less time consuming than capturing them from turntable, chopping up the resulting WAV file and converting to mp3).

I now use EasyNews for newsgroup access (10USD/30 days or 20GB). With this you can download single files or magically zip them up. I also use NZB-O-Matic v0.43 (an NZB is a XML-type file that allows separate newzgroup files to be parcelled up for download).
wam_latex

Postby messymercedes » 19 Jan 2007, 23:20

I use Limewire
Happy when Messy
messymercedes

Return to Technical Questions